What: SBS Media World Cup Football Challenge When: 19 March, 2014 Where: All Sorts Indoor Sports Centre, Alexandria, NSW Type of event: Experiential marketing
THE GENIUS (the brief):
Verve Creative Events was commissioned by SBS to develop, create and execute concepts for an indoor football (soccer – for those of us who think Union or League is football) competition for media buying agencies to launch the coverage of the Brazilian World Cup 2014.
From there, an experiential marketing concept was devised to have each media agency enter a mixed team of males and females. Why? To provide an opportunity for the SBS media team to engage with clients and continue to build relationships, while sparking interest in SBS’s coverage of the World Cup – ultimately leading to an increase in advertising space.
THE MAGIC (the execution):
A callout was made to all the media buying agencies across Sydney and each invited to bring 10 employees to compete in the round robin tournament.
The response was remarkable with 22 teams put together to play six people per side (with four supporters/reserves).
Each team was allocated a country competing in the 2014 World Cup; Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Australia, Greece, Japan, England, Italy, Belgium, France, Argentina, Portugal, Germany, USA, Russia, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Netherlands, Chile, Ivory Coast and Uruguay.
Once the teams were confirmed, along with the country they would represent, they were sent a ticket (pictured) to attend the event.
In the lead up to the event, Verve Creative Events developed and project managed the following:
1. The location of the event
2. Round robin structure a. The round robin was played across four half-sized pitches b. Eight teams played at any given time c. The game ran for 15-minute halves with unlimited interchanges
3. The development of the round robin match program (pictured below)
4. Entertainment for the evening, which included: a. Masters of Ceremonies (MCs) • David Zdrilic (former Socceroo – now SBS Commentator on The World Game) • Lucy Zelic (SBS personality and David’s Co-Host) b. Rhythm Brazil • Renowned as Australia's leading Brazilian performance company, Rhythm Brazil is a dynamic ensemble of dancers, drummers, musicians and performing artists. c. Freestyle footballers d. Bubble Football e.Under 10s – future Socceroos 1. Food and beverage – catered by Pearl Catering a. Providing a full Brazilian menu that included: • Yellow fin tuna, avocado, finger lime on crisp yellow corn tortilla with jalapeno cream • Scallop ceviche with citrus and pimms dressing • Caipirinha marinated chicken brochette • BBQ quail marinated in preserved lemon and thyme • Slow braised beef skirt empanada braised with carrots, tomato, white wine • Chicken fajita with roast bell peppers, pico de gallo, queso manchego and jalapeno sour cream • Alaskan king crab panini al latte with baby cos, sauce rouge, avocado and dill • Brazilian churrasco bbq • Brazilian style char grilled skewers of prawns, beef and lamb with charred flavours of garlic, cumin, coriander, ginger, peppers and a hint of chilli served with smokey mayonnaise or chimichurri • Authentic Spanish paella - made with a tomato, saffron and herb broth, chicken, octopus, chorizo, ham, prawns, mussels and peas cooked in giant paella pans. • Handmade soccer ball chocolate truffles
1. Collateral for the event and players a. Complete program guide b. At the registration desk, all players were handed a fully-designed jersey, which reflected their country, a player number and also a lanyard, which had a profile of their country’s World Cup history and current world ranking.
The entire experiential event ran without a hitch. Verve Creative Events achieved on the clients deliverables, where: • The entire event was executed within budget. • The event management, logistics, entertainment, venue management, invitations, rules for the competition, F&B packages, OH&S, tournament structure, theming recommendations, talent management, collateral, AV and photography was all handled by the Verve team.
The event surprised and delighted all attending guests. It created substantial ‘talkability’ within the marketplace and also enhanced the competitive theme amongst agencies.
Out of 22 countries, Italy beat USA in the grand final 2-Nil.